What is a Persona?
- Creating personas will help you to understand your users’ needs, experiences, behaviors, and goals.
- Creating personas can help you to recognize that different people have different needs and expectations, and it can also help you to identify with the user you’re marketing to.
- Personas make the marketing process less complex, they guide your marketing processes, and they can help you to achieve the goal of creating a good user experience for your target user group.
- Personas are extremely useful to grow and improve a business; they help uncover the different ways people search for, buy, and use products, so you can focus your efforts on improving the experience for real people and use cases.
- Collecting data on current target users. Utilize a customer survey to gather data.
- Creating personas with your internal team:
- Determine the qualities of and differences between users
- Determine a number of personas
- Who is your ultimate target user?
- Who would you like as a user?
- Who is your #1/most profitable user?
- Name and describe each persona, including:
- A picture
- User’s values, interests, education, lifestyle, needs, attitudes, desires, limitations, goals, and behavior patterns.
- Extra details about the persona (interests, family, etc.) anything to make him/her more real and relevant and help build empathy. A written story is better than bullet points.
- Describe several situations/scenarios prompting the persona to use your product. Put him/her in contexts with problems to overcome. These should expose the persona optimally to potential use cases.
- Quit playing games and actually talk to your customers!
- Find out straight from your current customers what their needs and wants are.
- Conduct an online survey of 7-10 open-ended questions on behavioral drivers, purchasing obstacles, and shopping mindsets.
- Talk to your existing customers one-on-one about their buying habits, motivations, and how they discuss your products and services.
- Remember to say thank you to the customers that help you out by offering them something nice!
Hello! My name is Hanna O’Brien and I am one of the Strategic Marketing Directors here at Systemax. I work hand in hand with clients creating strategies for growth, brand awareness, customer retention, etc.; ultimately with a goal in mind of increasing their revenue. I have spent the last 20 years in the marketing and advertising industry. Outside of work, you can catch me coaching my 3 girls in basketball and enjoying time with family & friends.